Перейти к контенту
Конференции клуба Родим и вырастим

Рекомендуемые сообщения

Yay! Kotya to the rescue! :D Congratulations on the round date, btw! :D

KOSHKA_T,
Welcome!
Just one more thing - I thought it was just a typo at first, but then I noticed you used it twice:

Friench

friench way

You don't need an "i" there, just French.

And I know the best way to speak a good English is to read......but so far I can't find a book that will be not very complicated and interesting in the same time

I would have to also disagree, like Kotya did - reading is invaluable for building your vocabulary, but it's not going to help you much with speaking or even grammar - because it's always easier to recognize a pattern than to produce one, and reading is basically just that - recognizing patterns, while writing or speaking requires reproducing them. So, reading is important, but so is speaking and writing! Luckily, I'm sure you have plenty of practice with the speaking, and we're here to help with structures when you need it.

As for a good book to read that would not be very complicated and interesting... Gosh, it's been a while since I read for pleasure (and, being a French major, I read in French more than in English :D ), but one book you might want to try if you haven't read it already is The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. It's very interesting, and quite accessible. I believe most "difficult" words in it will not be difficult for you, because you already speak French (very often fancy English words are just plain and simple French words, for instance, "to traverse" is a fancy English way of saying "to cross", while in French "traverser" is a very basic and usual word, and for someone who speaks French it will be very easy to understand what it means - perhaps even easier than understanding "to cross"!).
So, if you haven't read the book already, buy it in paperback, it's not expensive that way, and give it a try - I think your English is good enough to understand it, and, as flawed as it might be, it's definitely a page-turner!

Поделиться этим сообщением

Talyana,
Thank you for your corrections and explanations. I really enjoy, listening to the " music" of your English :)
And answering your question
One thing that you might want to share with us is your background in English and your goals in it - do you just want to practice what you know, do you need it for a job, for a trip, etc.?

I'd like to say that I miss my English lessons & wish to practice.
I'm sure it'll be useful for my future job & undoubtedly I'll need for my foreign trips.
Though I try not to lose my qualification in English, teaching my son, my vocabulary gets narrow.
By the way, I wanted you to suggest me some interesting book for reading, but you've already done it
:clap:
Now I'm going to find it, surround myself with vocabularies & practice :D
As to grammar, would you adwise me some Grammar book with excercises :worthy:
Something like Murphy?
[/b]Котя* , glad to meet you!

Wow!!! Look at my ruler!

What a nice date!
I worked for "The Coca-Cola" company for 8 years

Do you still work for this company?
If it's not a secret, what post did you take( or is taking ) up in" Coca - Cola" ?
The point is that my husband had intended to work in your company but there hadn't been an appropriate vacancy for him.
Now he works in ( the ? )" Nestle " company.

I look forward to your corrections
:D

being a French major,

buy it in paperback,

Sorry, but I haven't undersood these sentenses :aiaiai:

Talyana,
Thank you for your corrections and explanations. I really enjoy, listening to the " music" of your English :)

Well, thank you! :D
By the way, I wanted you to suggest me some interesting book for reading, but you've already done it
:clap:
Now I'm going to find it, surround myself with vocabularies & practice  :D

You know, I've always admired people who could read with dictionaries! I could never do that - I'm too impatient, I guess. I could look up a word or two when it's a key word and I really can't guess the meaning of it, but as long as I can follow the story, I never look up words, because otherwise reading becomes not so fun... Just my personal experience, don't mean to say that YOU shouldn't do it either! :D
As to grammar, would you adwise me some Grammar book with excercises :worthy:
Something like Murphy?

Unfortunately, I learned English mostly by ear - I came to America, I listened to the way people spoke around me, I picked it up. So, I don't have much formal training in English grammar. I do know grammar rules fairly well, but I didn't learn them from any one particular book, so I'm sorry, I can't really recommend one. Hopefully, Kotya* can answer that question for you - she might be more familiar with textbooks available in Russia.

I have to say, though, that in French, the best grammar books I've seen were not French textbooks, but Russian textbooks written for university students learning French! They are very detailed (too detailed at times), but they really give you a very solid base. I wouldn't necessarily recommend those books for vocabulary and conversation (although I have not seen the newest editions, perhaps they improved them), as those tended to be 1) "British" 2) often outdated 3) somewhat artificial. But in grammar, they were really strong.

Sorry, but I haven't undersood these sentenses

That's alright, the first one is definitely an "Americanism", I didn't know it myself until I spent some time in American educational system. I will try to explain both expressions in English first, without translating them into Russian, ok? And if it's still not clear, let me know, I'll give you a Russian translation.

being a French major

As you might know, in American colleges you do not start specializing right away, like we do in Russia. Some students can take up to 2 years of general classes without knowing what they want to specialize in - math, English, chemistry, etc. When they do decide on their specialization, it's called your "major". Usually, you need to know what it is by the 3rd year of college, so you have time to take many classes in that field (often in the 3rd and 4th year you take ONLY classes in your major) and really become knowledgeable in that area.
The reason why it's called a "major" is because you can also have a "minor". It's also something you specialize in, but to a lesser degree (if for a major you need to have, for example, 24 classes, for a minor you might need only 12 or 18, so it's still a lot, but not as much as your major).
You can also have a "double major", and do 24 classes in 2 different areas of study, but that usually requires spending more than 4 years in college. Sometimes the major and the minor (or the double majors) are complementary - for example, my husband did it in physics (major) and computer science (minor), and he now uses both. But sometimes the major and the minor are completely different - I've known people who majored in French and minored in biology! (Oh, yeah, the fact of specializing in something is called "majoring" or "minoring" in it).
So, when I said that, being a French major, I read mostly in French, I meant that I am specializing in French, and therefore I do not read in English a whole lot.

I promise my second explanation will not be so long! :D

buy it in paperback

There are 2 common book formats - paperback and hardcover. Paperback means soft paper cover on a book, hardcover means just that - laminated, hard cover. Hardcover books are more durable, but also more expensive. Paperbacks wear out quickly, but they are usually much cheaper. So, I was advising to buy a paperback so it's not too expensive (in case you don't like the book).

I hope this answers your questions!

As for the corrections, I pretty much don't have any, like I already said, your English is very very good, but just a couple of suggestions:

to work in your company
Now he works in ( the ? )" Nestle " company

You used "for" once and "in" twice. "For" is a much better choice. And you don't even need to use the word "company" in the last sentence - "Now he works for Nestle" is perfectly fine.
what post did you take( or is are taking ) up in" Coca - Cola" ?

While it's understandible what you're asking, I would have probably said "what post did you occupy in "C-C"? Or, even simpler - "what was your position?".

Nute*

What a nice date!

Thank you! I loved it too! :aiaiai:

No, I resigned 4 years ago. My husband had to leave for Indonesia for work and I had to follow him. So, I am not working there already for a long time. I keep in touch with my friends and know that a lot of people left their positions since that time. Well, this is life!

If it's not a secret, what post did you take( or is taking ) up in" Coca - Cola" ?

It's not a secret - I worked for Eurasian division - Coca-Cola Bottlers of Eurasia (responsible for supply chain of Coke plants in Russia) as a logistics manager.

The point is that my husband had intended to work in your company but there hadn't been an appropriate vacancy for him.
Now he works in ( the ? )" Nestle " company.

Well, after Coke had been well organised in Russia it became rather difficult to find a job in that organisation. I started in 1994 when CC was very young and not so many people worked there. But they paid very good money, even to people on low positions. We all had amazing benefits - medical insurance covering every illness and childbirth, all direct family members including kids were covered too, life insurance, possibility of using "World Class" gym free of charge... Lots of very good things. We used to say that the company went bananas! :crank: Now those good old times are gone. Another food group took over Coke plants in Russia. Many people were made redundant, salaries went down :wacko: ... no more insurance packages... It's not the best time to work for that company. If your husband has a stable job, good money and career opportunities with Nestle - Coke is not the thing to be sorry about. :zdrya:

Hello!!!! I am very wait when open English group.
:hellp:

Sekira*,
Hi! :zdrya:

I am very wait when open English group.

The verb "to be" here is used as an auxillary verb for the Present Continuous tense formation.
Let's see how the present continuous tense is formed:

the verb to be in respective case + basic verb + -ing

to be
1 s - I - am.....................1 pl - we - are
2 s - you - are.....................2 pl - you - are
3 s he/she/it - is.....................3 pl - they - are

wait + ing = waiting

I am waiting

The sentence word order in English is always fixed:

Subject + predicate + other parts of a sentence.
You are talking of the past tense, so, in this case you should use the verb "to be" in the past tense: was

I was waiting.....

the verb "to wait" always has a postposition "for". So...

I was waiting for the English group to open.

To amplify your expression of waiting you can use the word "to long".

I was longing for the English group to open.

talyana,
Котя*,
Thank you for your corrections. I'll try not do the mistakes. :aiaiai:

(I don't mind)
Did you mean "I'm not sure", "I don't know"?

I wanted to write - I don't remember
The competition was in 1996.

now I'm getting a doctoral degree in Texas

Now I'm studing in the post-graduate course. And two years ago I got a Master's degree too. :)

talyana,
Soon you'll born a baby. Do you know who is it - boy or girl? And do you think of the baby's name?

Talyana and Kotya,
sorry for my late answer!
Thank you very much for your interesting & complete explanations & stories!!!!
:flowers::flowers::flowers:
This topic turned out to be a base for a new custom in my family.
Now my husband & I speak English in the evening before ( ARTICLE? )falling asleep
:super:
Our son feels a little bit shocked , lying calmly between us & listening to our inarticulate speech :bla:

Do you know who is it - boy or girl? And do you think of the baby's name?

I join a question
:secret::D

Darica*,
I hate to do this, but:

I'll try not do the mistakes

I'll try not to make mistakes.

Nute*,

This topic turned out to be a base for a new custom in my family.
Now my husband & I speak English in the evening before ( ARTICLE? )falling asleep

You don't really need an article there, "before falling asleep" is perfectly fine. And that's great! The more you practice, the better!
Our son feels a little bit shocked , lying calmly between us & listening to our inarticulate speech

:D Poor boy! But at (almost) 3 years of age, children are very capable of picking up new languages, so if you keep this up, before you know it, he might start joining in your conversations!! :D

talyana,
Soon you'll born a baby. Do you know who is it - boy or girl? And do you think of the baby's name?

First, a little correction, if you don't mind - "to be born" is a passive form of the verb, and it cannot be used in active form ("to born"). You can say instead "soon you'll give birth to a baby" or, even simpler, "soon you'll have a baby".

And to answer your question, yes, we know that it's a girl (at least, if the ultrasound is correct :D ), and we have chosen her name (it took us a looooong time, since my husband is American, and we needed a name that was acceptible in both American and Russian cultures), although there is still a slight chance that we'll change our minds when we see the baby - I hear that sometimes happens :D .

And that's great! The more you practice, the better!

Thank you very much!
It's extremely pleasant to hear :aiaiai:
yes, we know that it's a girl

It's beautiful !

:rolleyes:

Wish you light pregnancy and cloudless mood!
:beb:

hey!ppl! nice to meet u! :clap::allllkg: how i m happy to practice(right??:) my poor english(just learned it in school).Well,at first i would like to suggest u to(do i need to type - to -second time?is it correct?) visit my persanaly space ( http://spaces.msn.com/demidova) -there a lot of interesting information about everything.But i didnt publish there anything new last time :aiaiai: hope u ll like it,cos i spent a lot of time making my persanaly page on those great virtual space.
Bye-Bye! c u later(hope tomorrow)

МамаКапризулькИ,
Hi and welcome!

how i m happy to practice

In English, questions words are mostly just that - question words, whereas in this sentence, you're not asking a question, but rather expressing your excitement. So, I'd go with something like "I'm so happy to practice".
i would like to suggest u  to(do i need  to type - to -second time?is it correct?) visit

A better way to phrase this is probably "I would like to suggest that you visit..."
my persanaly space

I'm not sure what that word is. Do you mean my personal space?
I tried to follow the link, but got an error message, so I'm sorry, I wasn't able to visit it.
on those great virtual space

you used the plural "those" and singular "space". I think the singular here is more appropriate, so it should be "in that virtual space".

Finally, if you don't mind, I think we better stick to standard spellings of things:
ppl - people
u - you
cos - because or at the very least cause
c u later - see you

Abbreviations might confuse some people, and they don't help you practice typing correctly. Those are frequently used shortcuts, that's true, but they are mostly used by young people when they are typing fast. I think that we come here to practice English, so we can spend an extra minute typing the entire word, rather than its "shortcut". While such shortcuts are "hip" at the moment, you cannot use them when preparing a resume for work, or when writing an academic paper, so I think it's important to learn to write well - it's always easier to switch to shortcuts later.
So, unless others mind (and ladies, do let me know if you disagree), let's stick to the proper spelling for the moment, ok?

Nute*
Is your husband's English as good as yours? Where did he learn English? Does he use it at work? Do you guys both speak more of a "British" or "American" English?

Wish you light pregnancy and cloudless mood!

Thank you! :D

МамаКапризулькИ,
Hi and welcome! 

In English, questions words are mostly just that - question words, whereas in this sentence, you're not asking a question, but rather expressing your excitement.  So, I'd go with something like "I'm so happy to practice".

A better way to phrase this is probably "I would like to suggest that you visit..."

I'm not sure what that word is.  Do you mean my personal space?
I tried to follow the link, but got an error message, so I'm sorry, I wasn't able to visit it. 

you used the plural "those" and singular "space".  I think the singular here is more appropriate, so it should be "in that virtual space".

Finally, if you don't mind, I think we better stick to standard spellings of things:
ppl - people
u - you
cos - because or at the very least cause
c u later - see you

Abbreviations might confuse some people, and they don't help you practice typing correctly.  Those are frequently used shortcuts, that's true, but they are mostly used by young people when they are typing fast.  I think that we come here to practice English, so we can spend an extra minute typing the entire word, rather than its "shortcut".  While such shortcuts are "hip" at the moment, you cannot use them when preparing a resume for work, or when writing an academic paper, so I think it's important to learn to write well - it's always easier to switch to shortcuts later.
So, unless others mind (and ladies, do let me know if you disagree), let's stick to the proper spelling for the moment, ok?

Nute*
Is your husband's English as good as yours?  Where did he learn English?  Does he use it at work?  Do you guys both speak more of a "British" or "American" English?

Thank you!  :D

1290536[/snapback]

Oh........think i got the worst mark from you(can i type -u -please(and plz)????i would like to type abbreviations because i m always use it with my friends -and it s very comfortable to me(because my speed of typing is not fast)How about to speak in msn messenger(think u have it) my msn adress is-irina-demidova@hotmail.com,hope u will add me soon.As my page- i gave u wrong adress -that s correct:http://spaces.msn.com/demidova
hope u ll visit it(кстати, а где апостроф на клавиатуре и как его печатать:)???
One question^how can u rate my english by 10 markesd scale?

Пожалуйста, авторизуйтесь, чтобы оставить комментарий

Вы сможете оставлять комментарии после авторизации

Войти